Re: Two ideas that could make people love GNOME even more

Nils O. Sel�al wrote:
Nice. Perhaps.
Does it deal with most things mentioned at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-devel-list/2004-March/msg00048.html
?

No. The only thing my app does is keeping the clipboard content in memory. That email mentions 4 problems: 1. Data transfer: a while ago people discussed about the design of a new clipboard. That discussion died and nothing had been written. I can only conclude that nobody really knows how to deal with the problem. People talked about scenarios like copying 200 MB of video data to clipboard, *and* keeping that in memory after the video editing app has exited, or something like that. 2. Clipboard owner exit: it is indeed impossible to know when the clipboard owner is about to exit. This must be implemented at the X level.
3. Clipboard format: this is an application problem. Fix the applications.
4. Clipboard ownership change: this is now possible with the XFIXES extension. GTK 2.6 has support for this, I think.