Re: gnome-format 0.1 - UI suggestions wanted!

Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> writes:

>>       * I do not see ext3, i guess that's important to use journalised
>>         FS on hotplugable device, especially for users who forget to
>>         unmount before unplug.
>
> ext3, or any journaled filesystem for that matter, on a flash memory
> device is a no-no, as the journal would disrupt the write queue that the
> devices use to optimise the flash usage.

That's interesting. Do you have a link with a further explanation?

I would have thought that flash memory and journaled file systems were
a natural fit since you don't have the seek overhead that are present
with disk-based memory.

--
Ole Laursen
http://people.iola.dk/olau/