Re: gnome-format 0.1 - UI suggestions wanted!

hi;

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 15:47 +0100, Ole Laursen wrote:
> Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> writes:
>
> >>       * I do not see ext3, i guess that's important to use journalised
> >>         FS on hotplugable device, especially for users who forget to
> >>         unmount before unplug.
> >
> > ext3, or any journaled filesystem for that matter, on a flash memory
> > device is a no-no, as the journal would disrupt the write queue that the
> > devices use to optimise the flash usage.
>
> That's interesting. Do you have a link with a further explanation?

no link, at the moment.

> I would have thought that flash memory and journaled file systems were
> a natural fit since you don't have the seek overhead that are present
> with disk-based memory.

ext3 is a "heavy" file system, with writes occurring in bursts due to
the journal, even when filtered through the wear leveling mechanisms
that flash-based memories apply (hence the usual suggestion of mounting
flash memories using the async parameter, delegating the writes to the
card's controller paired with the kernel queue).

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,  E: ebassi gmail com