Re: GNOME "Save as" dialog - defective by design

On Wed, 2007-28-03 at 19:45 +0200, Jan Claeys wrote:
> Op woensdag 28-03-2007 om 11:47 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Emmanuele
> Bassi:
> > On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 12:21 +0200, Tomasz Sterna wrote:
[...]
> > "most users"?  where?  do you have *any* usability study or even tests
> > that demonstrate the need to move/copy files when saving another file?
>
> I have had that "need" frequently too, but if you don't want to bloat
> the file dialog (which I understand), I would be happy with anything
> that allows me to open the default "file manager" in the current
> directory.

It's interesting to note that both Windows and Mac provide ways to do
this sort of thing.  E.g. in Windows you can press F2 to rename a file
pretty much anywhere, including in the Save As box, which works
in fact very much like the details view of the file manager there.
Well, exactly the same as...

Sun's old OPEN LOOK UI put an icon on the document window that you
could drag into file manager or onto the printer icon etc etc,
and this seemed well-received, but it doesn't remove the desire
to move existing files around.

I often want to rename other files when I do a save as.  A common
scenario is also
    open foo for editing
    add the ingredients list to the recipe (say)
    rename foo to foo-without-ingredients
    save foo

Liam