Re: [gnome-network]libgnetwork API/ABI Stability

On Pre , 2003-10-24 at 15:53, Manuel Clos wrote:
> Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> >>Actually, the API/ABI freeze is scheduled for Dec. 8. Not much time to
> >>make a stable release. It's about 6 weeks. :)
> > 
> > oh :-( Anyway, it's still some time to break it, which is what I suppose
> > Jim was referring to.
> 6 weeks from now is not much time. If the idea is to have clients use 
> libgnetwork instead of the IDL (for the transfer manager), I think 
> development should speed up, I have been waiting almost for three weeks now.

I was offline for 2 of those weeks, on vacation in .al.

> Rodney, do you have the time to dedicate to the transfer manager? If you 
> can put the code in CVS or send me a copy, I will start looking at it 
> and help in the development.

I just talked to rodrigo on IRC about this. The transfer manager is
going to be a separate module and just have it's own library wrapper
around it's IDL for now. I should have some time soon to write all of
the necessary bits to put that in CVS. So, expect to see it there at
some point this weekend. I just realized how little time is actually
left, and will try to get a fairly complete architecture written this
weekend with a stable API/ABI. And having discovered some major issues
in some of the vfs API calls, I see that we are going to have to use
some code from downman anyway probably. But this is good since the way
emphetamine currently does transfers expects that gnome-vfs actually
works when it is supposed to, and it doesn't. Also, the way that you
are doing it in downman seems to allow more flexibility, so that we
can fake pipelining of downloads in some cases if we care to add that
feature at some point.

-- dobey

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]