Re: Native file chooser dialog on Windows

On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:04:47 -0400, Morten Welinder wrote:

> From the name of entries, it should be possible to come
> up with a fairly good guess of what to stat first.  We want
> directories before files and things alphabetically within
> those groups, except that dot files should be last if they're
> not going to be displayed.  That makes it a problem of
> guessing what is likely to be a directory.  I'd try looking
> for an extension which would typically indicate something
> that isn't a directory.

Just for comparision: there's 231 directories (and 4 files, but they aren't
pictures - I was testing with GIMP) in the directory on network drive I
tried opening, and the Windows native chooser took 3 seconds to display the
entire list. GTK+'s chooser displayed about a tenth of the list after about
10 seconds, and then further tenth every 10 seconds.

I also couldn't get autocomplete to work at all in the GTK+ file chooser
there, while it was available immediately in the Windows filechooser (I
wonder how hard would it be to actually use the Windows' built-in
autocomplete in GTK+ - to use it with Windows native controls, you just
need to call SHAutoComplete and pass the handle of the control).

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >