Re: RFC: new features

Hopefully this isn't getting old, but I'm sort of just throwing these
out there as I think of them.

ROUND BUTTON
This one might be a stretch, but is probably solvable with some CSS
classes that are guaranteed to be there. Sometimes you want a button
that is a circle. Buttons for a Phone Dialer or a "record" button might
be good examples of when to use it. Arguably, this might fall under the
"not common enough" category.

BACKGROUND OPACITY
It would be nice to have the ability to alter the opacity of a window
without altering the opacity of GdkWindow'd widgets inside it. This is
useful for utility windows that float over a primary window. Right now,
you have to handle changes with the visual and/or screen and modify the
background yourself. This breaks possible theming and is tedious.
http://www.pixelmator.com/ is a good example of why this might be
useful.

CELL RENDERER BOX
GtkCellAreaBox being a GtkOrientable helps for very basic things in a
GtkTreeView such as a single column like:

  Title
  [======50%      ]
  Description

But it doesn't allow for more complex layouts per line. My understanding
is that the following isn't possible using built-in objects from Gtk.

  Title       Today
  [======50%      ]
  Description

We need a GtkCellRendererBox that allows packing cells within the cell.
(Spare me the "Yo, Dawg" meme).

FAST/SMOOTH SCROLLING (POSSIBLY INFINITE SCROLLING)
A sort of container widget that handles keeping a couple "pages" to
either side of the visible region in server side pixmaps. It would
handle calling back to render various pages as needed based on
scrolling. This could be useful for preview applications like Evince,
Abiword, or slideshows. Possibly even reusable by
GtkTextView/GtkTreeView.

-- Christian