Re: Removal of icons in buttons/menus

On Wed, 2013-10-09 at 16:21 -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
Reducing the amount of environments an app has to be tested in is a
very good thing. I think that for GTK+ 3.10, we should add back the
ability for app authors to use the GtkSettings APIs to add back icons
if that's how they forced it on, but I don't think it should be hooked
up to the environment anymore.

That still forces app authors to write their own XSettings client if
they wish to fully restore the level of desktop integration present in
GTK+ 3.8 (which I'm not above doing).

Concrete example:

  xfce4-appearance-settings, "Settings" tab

  Observe GTK3 apps built against GTK+ 3.8 honor and respond to the
  preferences shown there.  GTK3 apps built against GTK+ 3.10 do not.

This kind of backward-compatibility breakage should be reserved for
GTK4, after a sufficient period of deprecation in GTK3.

Matthew Barnes