Re: RFC: GtkPreview library

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Cosimo Cecchi <cosimoc gnome org> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 2:23 PM, Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:
what happened to the idea of GTK being a cross-platform toolkit? you're seriously proposing building something as significant as a Preview widget around a technology that isn't even deployed on most Linux systems yet, and will almost certainly never be available on other platforms?

Paul, I don't think you understand what is being proposed here, and I much dislike the aggressive tone you are imposing on this conversation.
Whether to use something different than a Wayland transport on non-Linux platforms is entirely up for debate. I am not familiar with how Windows and OSX implement previews, and whether integration with the native platform APIs is desirable in those cases, but I will point out that a simple shared memory transport can be used with Wayland, which should work fine even on those platforms.

I'm not trying to be aggressive. I've been very active at trying to keep GTK functioning and improving on OS X (less so in the immediate past, but a lot more a year or two ago).

I understand the appeal of using "existing technology" (i.e. Wayland) to accomplish something when it appears that it will make it much easier.

But if GTK is still at least nominally cross-platform, then surely the place to start is a higher level abstraction of the transport system, and then later to bolt wayland onto that design "under the hood", rather than starting with Wayland and then shrugging one's hands and saying "do something like Wayland on other platforms"?