Re: GTK+, WM, desktops and CSD

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015, Florian Müllner wrote:

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 12:44 AM Allin Cottrell <cottrell wfu edu> wrote:

Isn't there some dissonance here: "essential UI" embedded in
"decorations"? How did we come to this? [...] why not fix the WM
[...] rather than conflating UI with decoration?

Because it is not about working around any WM's (or more precisely: theme's) whitespace issues, but about a philosophical difference: Are windows containers that the system provides and applications fill with content, or are they space that is entirely under application control?

OK, I can see that that's a legitimate difference (I'd say a "design" rather than a "philosophical" one, but hey). Fact is that the first alternative has been the status quo for a long time and IMO the second approach -- which is obviously quite disruptive, whatever its merits -- calls for more argument pro than I've seen so far. More than "It's the trend, so shut up and live with it, unless you want to fork gtk".

You know what? It's a matter of taste - it's perfectly fine that you pick a different answer than me. But telling us how bloated and awful ...

I'm not saying that CSD as such is bloated and awful. I did say that metacity had a bloated title-bar by default and I stand by that. If CSD is not motivated by metacity's problems then I stand corrected on that point.

Allin Cottrell