Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus user testing at MIT

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

Le jeu, 04 jan 2001 21:09:44, Miles Lane a écrit :

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

There are extensive discussions on this subject in the
gnome-gui list archive. You can look them up. This is a
difficult subject since the usual solution (hourglass)

is

basiquely *WRONG* in a real multitasking environment.

I disagree.  What is wrong is blocking any additional
user interaction with the OS/desktop.

Therefore you do *not* prempt the mouse pointer which is a
major tool for interracting with the system. You've got a

I never said the pointer should be preempted.  I said it
could be modified to display an hourglass.  This does mean
that the mouse should become unusable while the hourglass
is displayed.  Like I said, it could be used a method to
simply inform the user that a program is launching and that
the process hasn't completed yet.  You could conceivably
let the user launch three programs and then, when all
programs are displayed, switch back to the regular cursor.
The idea is to simply give some feedback saying "I got your
request and am working on it."  What's so heinous about that?

	Miles