Re: pluggable context menus ...

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 22:58, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 22:26, James Willcox wrote:
> >
> > So then my original placement of them was alright then?  See:
> > http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~jwillcox/files/screenshots/nautilus-mime-context-menus-2.png
> >
> > > One question. For some objects (rpms and iso's come to mind) opening
> > > them doesn't really make sense. In the future would it be possible to
> > > make these menu entries mime-specific as well? (instead of having open
> > > and open with for rpms you'd have install or uninstall, for iso's you
> > > would have "Burn to CD") Just food for thought.
> >

> Well with your example these seem to affect an object's properties. Jdub
> had mentioned and I agree that properties tend to be the last items in
> the menus.
>
> so perhaps change the menu to be like this:
> ----------------------
> *
> *
> icon stretching stuff
> ---------------------
> Rotate Image...
> Resize Image...
> Properties
> ---------------------

Ok, that seems ok to me.

> As far as show notes goes, I think that since notes are now part of an
> objects properties, that a menu entry is not really needed (let me know
> if i'm missing something here).

Yeah, the "show notes" thing was just an example of an item that could
appear for every type of file.  I should be more clear about these
things :/

> > Actually, I think we could probably do this right now fairly easily.
> > Especially if the open* items are the only ones we want to be able to
> > disable.

<snip>
> As you can see this is tricky and requires a lot of thought, but of
> course this is what it means to be object oriented.

Ok. I totally don't think we have the stuff in place right now to do all
of that.  I mean, it's probably doable...but it would be messy.

> Totally unrelated, perhaps the note view in the properties page should
> be slightly shadowed inwards. It looks a little flat right now.

Yeah, good point.

Thanks,
James