Re: Nautilus 2.5.6: Returning to Browser Mode

On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 19:49, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> I find that in my nautilus usage I tend to jump about to some fairly
> common directories pretty regularly. With the browser, I can type a path
> into the bar or click on an item in the tree view. But in spatial mode I
> have to rely solely on drilling through miles of spacial windows, or
> with symbolic links to my Desktop.
>
> How is spatial mode supposed to handle this use case to the satisfaction
> of regular users? Making links everywhere for every used location, just
> to avoid tedious double clicking, seems suboptimal. The places menu can
> help to fix this situation, but I have yet to find a way to edit the
> places menu.

If you have your data placed directly on the desktop, it's usually not
"miles" away. :) And spatial windows are only used for desktop icons
AFAIK. If you want to access some file that lies elsewhere, you could
always just open the browser.
Personally, since I use my desktop in a "spatial" way (I'm even doing
that with 2.4 and believe me, that's a lot less fun than with 2.5 ;)), I
indeed use symbolic links on my desktop a lot (but only for folders
which I both access regularly _and_ which are nested very deeply). I see
nothing wrong with that and I can easily remove and add them as I see
fit. I also tend to keep folders open as long as I work with their
content, so I rarely navigate to the same location over and over again.

Daniel