Re: Feature Request

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 09:37 -0700, Patrick Kellaher wrote:

> I log in with a user account but all my directories (home and nfs
> shares) are very well organized and can get well past 8 levels deep.  I
> can see the advantages with only having at most 2 or 3 directories deep
> of a file structure, but that is unrealistic if you have lots of files
> (at least for me that is true... with over 130,000 files in my home
> directory alone, not including . files).

Some people just can't get rid of old stuff ;)
Go through those 130.000 files and delete every one that you did not
touch in the last year

now, serious: what are all those files?
You made me curious and I counted

actual content count of my home folder: 26720.

what of this do I actually need to "browse" through?

1566: stuff in the eclipse workspace + 1752 in a myEclipse folder (the
installation directory of MyEclipse); no need to browse that - eclipse
does this

about 2000: html files and images and stuff from various documentations;
no need to browse that, I have bookmarks in galeon to browse that

9963: stuff in some obscure dot folders and files like .gnome2 and all
configuration settings; no need to browse that either for me as user

2792: the evolution folder; no ned to browse this, i have evolution for
that

ok, thats two thirds of the files. and the rest?

then there is a huge "My CDs" folder. But I have only one time looked
into that folder (first level) to verify that soundjuicer actually saves
the OGG files he creates from my CDs in the right place. I Never again
looked at that folder. Instead I pointed Rhythmbox to that folder and
there I can listen to and manage the Music easily.
How many folders and levels of folders and ogg files there actually are?
who cares!

2474: Documents; all other stuff like Text, Images, Drawings etc. (stuff
I work on) fits nicely into three levels
(The number reminds me that there are some old web projects I should get
rid of)

oh, there is one exception: the Folder I store digital camera images has
four levels. but even this works fine.

I love spatial.

Browsing is for the web but not for files :)

Jens