Re: [patch] confirm before sending to trash

Le 30/03/2011 22:18, Holger Berndt a écrit :
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 21:37:16 +0200, Alexander Larsson
> <alexl redhat com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah. Thats what it would mean. Its hard to please everyone, and
>> people with years on osx will have ctrl-delete as muscle memory...
>
> Not if they've also been Nautilus users through all these years... :-)
>
>> Still, delete is a particularly risky function, so i think making it a
>> bit harder is the right thing here.
>
> We're talking about a file manager - and moving stuff to the trash is
> one of the fundamental file operations, so it should not be harder
> than absolutely necessary.
>
> The only scenario where control+delete would maybe make things safer
> anyways is the "cat walks over the keyboard while I'm in the bathroom"
> scenario. I'm not sure that scenario is worth making day-to-day work
> harder, and I'm also not sure the proposed solution really is the best
> one.
>
> In my oppinion, this whole thread is a typical case of "Never use a
> warning when you mean undo" [1], no matter if you try to make valid
> actions harder via a confirmation dialog or other means. Visual
> feedback plus easily reachable undo appears to be so much nicer.
>
> Holger
>
> [1]  http://www.alistapart.com/articles/neveruseawarning/

Nothing but +1. Also the "cat walk on keyboard while I'm away" scenario
is IMHO better fixed by e.g. locking the session, which is quite easy to
achieve and avoids all these kind of problems (works with cats, dogs,
monkeys, donkeys... oops :D).

Cheers,
Colomban