Re: Helix Player virtual team meeting

Well, this is what would be really great, but there's one more catch:
they would have to release their patents for use in Free Software
(and I don't doubt there are at least a dozen of them concering any
one of their codecs).

Since the idea is to have free software available to everyone (one of
main tasks: no discrimination), we don't want to rule out those
Americans either, where patents are valid :o)
One of the problems with releasing the patents is that, if the codecs involved just RN patents then it might be ok - but in many cases they will involve other patents licensing by RN as well. It makes things much trickier.

-V

---
Vikram Dendi
Program Manager (Helix Player Project)