Re: Drop shadow madness

On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 02:35, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> perhaps a discretely worded request to the X86 team for such a feature?

Lol, they already are well aware of how people want it.  It's just
*very* difficult to do, you have to understand.  The old X protocol
*sucks*, and a new one, along with backend rendering changes, is
required to do translucency *efficiently*.  (As opposed to the hacks we
have now with, when they work, do slow at a big cost to resources.)
Givin the current implementation, your CPU would probably peg out with
windows constantly redrawing themselves because windows in front change
(why X doesn't make more use of cards with 32+ MB of RAM for back
buffering window contents is beyond me - and if it is supposed to, then
I wonder why mine doesn't ;-)

Get on google.com and search for Xrender, Keith Packard did a paper
detailing some of the issues involved, and more clearly explains why the
base X model sucks.