Re: Gnome SuperUser

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 11:26, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> This is where I wish we had really nice ACL support in Unix.
> AFS (http://www.openafs.org) for instance would be a nice where you
> don't have to be root to copy files over you could just get a token
> that would allow such a thing.  I'm still waiting for *ix/*bsd to
> enter the 21st century and get us out of "rwxrwxrwx" world.

Heh.  Yes, real ACL support in Nautilus would be very nice - it would
make using the ACL's on my ext3 partitions rather useful (yay for the
fattr kernel patches!)

There are some libraries about for using acl's, libacl and libattr, I
think you can use those even on file-systems that don't support the real
ACL - I've not looked into it much...

But a good, easy, intuitive, and useful GUI for viewing, changing, and
otherwise playing with ACL's (and heck, even user file attributes) would
be very very nice, on both patched Linux boxes, and the high-end
commercial UNIX's GNOME supposedly supports.  ^,^