Re: A Few Standard Folders [Re: Structure in $HOME]

You could give the option on "First login" of setting it up - which
could be as simple as:

Do you want GNOME to configure default folders for your files?
                                                    [No] [Yes]

If you press yes, you get a folder name config box with defaults filled
in from the current locale. With a note: "GNOME will create any folders
that do not exist."

And after first login, you set a GConf key so you don't ask again.