Re: Regarding Nautilus scripts

> Mime extensions/handlers are able to add themselves into the *context
> menu*.

Which is something I _don't_ want to see, as they bloat the top level menu.

>For example if you right click on an archive file in nautilus, it
> will give you the options.
>
> - Add to archive
> - Extract here
> - Extract to a subfolder
> - Extract to...

It should have been only one option: Add to acrhive. And it should have only
being under an /addon submenu, not in the toplevel one.
The rest options should only take place when you actually double click the
file, or at least only use the "Extract To..." and again, place it under the
/addon submenu.

I saw this new menu on my Gentoo's Gnome 2.2.2-pre and I saw these 4
options. I was very unhappy to see them there like that. They bloat the
menu, just like my KDE and Windows context menus are bloated. And worst of
all, *I have no way of disabling this!*. At least no apparent way!

These 2 options (and not the uneeded 4) should have being in the submenu of
addons, and all binary addons (or at least links/xml/whatever) should live
in a specific directory (e.g. /opt/gnome/bin/nautilus-addons/) so we can
easily move them around and deal with them.

> The options presented are dependent on the file selected. If you have
> more than one file selected only the operations that are common to all
> files selected are presented. (I'm using the latest CVS version of
> nautilus, I can't recall when all this came in).

Ok. So it means that most of what I need, is there with the MIME API. The
problem now is that it is implemented in a wrong way, which creates bloat.

Another question is, does this MIME API allows information to get back to
Nautilus? For example, if I create a "File Selector" addon, which via regex
and other methods specify some file names, could this mime api send the
results back to nautilus and tell it to only select the files that match my
result from the File Selector addon? You see, the information should flow
both ways. If the MIME API can do this, I think we are set. All it is then
needed is more standardization to where addons should live and that they
should not place themeselves in the top level menu, for bloat and
consinstency issues.

> I'm pretty sure that this is what you are asking for? Its just, as a
> are for quick and dirty, but the architecture is in place to do it
> properly.

I never said I want scripts. I said I want addons. :-D

> There is no bloat, and there is no overcrowding of top-level
> menus or context menus.

But this is what I already witnessed with FileRoller's nautilus extensions
on my Gentoo. Personally, I am buffled by this, because Gnome supposed to be
a clean system. Last year I tried to help the KDE guys out, but instead of
cleaning up their clutter, they made it worse with KDE 3.1. I left and
didn't look back. I would be really sad to see the only other DE that has a
chance to become dominant in the Unix world to fail on the same grounds KDE
fails, with time. I just like clean stuff as I already said before. :-)

Regards,
Eugenia