Re: ORBit-like /tmp functions

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 01:02 +0200, Chipzz wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Jamie McCracken wrote:
>
> > We can nuke gconfd when we get round to incorporating an embedded
> > relational DB in Gnome (would seem a waste not to if medusa/storage is
>
> What about apps not using the gnome libs, but only gtk+ and gconf?

The plan for Medusa is have a dbus/soap interface to insert and retrieve
metadata.  Any app may use those protocols to set/get data.  For many
subjects/objects, the metadata itself may be treated as first-class
data--recent files, bookmarks, window state.  GConf key data could be
accommodated, but I don't Medusa will be a good choice per its current
plan.  GConf has data typing and validation and I'm not sure Medusa's
handling will be adequate.

I have not worked on Medusa in 6 months.  I suck.  Plans are subject to
change, so Medusa isn't out of the question.

Storage is a better long term solution, but it only exposes a gnome-vfs
for access.  I like to think of Medusa as a Storage subset, so I would
want to port the dbus/soap access Storage when Medusa gives up the
ghost.  Storage should get dbus regardless because Storage needs to
handle events for users and applications.

> > using one). I'll even volunteer to write a dbus wrapper for the
> > forthcoming Vulcan embeddable database when its ready (should be
> > available by years end) so we will have a fast, robust and industrial
> > strength solution.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.