Re: Objections [Was: GNOME System Monitor will use libgnomesu]

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 02:24:47 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Sorry:
>
>   "You cannot do this because you don't have something you don't understand,
>   nor do you understand how to fix it because we can't describe a useful way
>   to fix it that will work on every distribution we support. Um, thanks."
>
> - Jeff

This is bad, but nonetheless better than "The computer on my left running
Foobar Distro has this useful feature, but the computer on my right just
has a blank space where that option is - why? And how do I get it on
both?".

So I agree the feedback given to the user when a library is missing sucks,
but it sucks less than not letting the user do anything at all.

I'm arguing the general principle here rather than whether it should be
done in this specific case ... as procman is a part of the core desktop I
think the user shouldn't be changing stuff underneath it. But for 3rd
party GNOME applications dependencies should absolutely be checked at
runtime.

thanks -mike