Re: 'GNOME', 'Gnome' [Was: Gnome 2]

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:30:42 +1000
> From: Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: 'GNOME', 'Gnome' [Was: Gnome 2]
>
> <quote who="Alan Horkan">
>
> > > [1] I'm going to beat up on you until you start writing 'GNOME'
> > > correctly!
> >
> > We know you like Gnome but there is no need to shout.
> >
> > Okay if it is an acronym then the only correct way to write it is
> > G.N.O.M.E.
>
> That is absolutely incorrect - read any modern style guide to confirm.

http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/grammar.html
"Write the acronym in uppercase letters, unless there is a compelling case
for lowercase."

That beautifully encapsulates the mixed feelings on the topic doesn't it.

> I will strongly oppose any suggestion that we move to 'Gnome', because then
> there will be nothing in between our name and the name of short bearded men
> who wear red caps and gather in gardens (or interpretations that are worse).
> That is *not* a good message, it is not a good association,

An interesting point of view.

> and by breaking down the slim barrier in between, we're encouraging
> people to make that mental leap.

The difference in capitalisation never stopped that mental leap.

> I would more readily support an entirely new name.

The only way I could see ever that happening was under the threat of legal
action.

> So, you - or I - may not like it, but our project is 'GNOME', not 'Gnome'
> and we do not need any more inconsistency.

The awkward capitalisation is the least of our consistency issues but
in the unlikely event I'm ever speaking in an official capicity I could
probably force myself to type it in uppercase once or twice but for
regular usage I'll be sticking with Gnome.

--
Alan