Re: Don't mess with our brand [Was: 'GNOME', 'Gnome']

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 03:36:50 +1000
> From: Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Don't mess with our brand [Was: 'GNOME', 'Gnome']
>
> <quote who="Alan Horkan">
>
> > http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/grammar.html "Write the
> > acronym in uppercase letters, unless there is a compelling case for
> > lowercase."
> >
> > That beautifully encapsulates the mixed feelings on the topic doesn't it.
>
> If you're going to refer to documentation that defines our standards, then
> you ought to be more careful about what our standards actually are.

You said any modern style guide would back up your point about acronyms
but even our own style guide shows the problem is more complicated than
you seem willing to admit.

> http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/gnome-glossary-desktop.html#id3621884
>
> Our project has a name. It is "GNOME". You may not like it, but that's what
> it is. Petty diversion from the standard is childish at best

I do not appreciate your accusations that I am being petty and childish.
I have been polite but persistant, you were the one getting annoyed and
cursing.

> Please, don't screw around with it for your own satisfaction alone --

Again I resent the accusation that I'm doing this out for my own
satisfaction.  From the inconsistent usage of Gnome you should accept
typing the BRAND IN ALL UPPPERCASE IS PROBLEMATIC.  I though the comment
about the gnome-binary-names all being convenietly lowercase was
particularly interesting.

> until we change our brand/identity, we must protect what we have.

Please dont try brow beating those who disagree with you into silence.  I
already politely acknowledged I would use the official "GNOME" branding if
I were speaking in an official capacity but otherwise I will not subject
myself the misguided idea that ALL UPPERCASE somehow makes the brand
better or more distinctive.

On a practical level if you are serious about protecting the "GNOME" (sic)
brand then you might want to see about registering the mark, if that is
even possible.  I did try to see if was already registered but I was
unable to find it registered at the US Patent and Trademark Office, mabye
it is registerd internationally at WIPO but the abscense of information on
the Foundations legal pages suggest that it is not registered at all.

Index search for GNOME at the USPTO
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?state=20ihfe.2.1&f=toc&a_search=&p_s_ALL=GNOME

--
Alan