Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules

Hi Tristan,

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 14:22, Tristan Van Berkom via desktop-devel-list <desktop-devel-list gnome org> wrote:
Instead, by opening the door to censorship of words which are not
themselves inherently vulgar or foul (i.e. 'master' is not considered a
'swear word'), we are creating an atmosphere where people worry more
and more whether they can express themselves freely.

This has already been covered in the original proposal under objection (1) "It doesn't matter". As has already been discussed, what actually doesn't matter is what you or I think, it is the people who have been affected by the language we use that matter. These are the people who won't contribute to GNOME because of these terms, and it is the project that loses out in the end.

To address some of your points directly however, this censorship in as much as the CoC is censorship, and as much as you already self-censor when choosing names for things in projects you participate in. That is to say, not actually censorship at all. In fact, you can see this proposal as simply aiming to extend the CoC to our documentation, API, and development infrastructure.

Further, this isn't about "offence", it is in fact about /respect/. It's an acknowledgement of a specific, significant past trauma that people and their ancestors have suffered and continue to suffer, and it's about respecting that so that they feel like GNOME is a project they in kind would like to contribute back to. That's what *actually* creates an inclusive atmosphere.

In the end, as the experience Python has had clearly shows, we will gain much, much more by being inclusive than we lose by entertaining a small minority who would rather we aren't.

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>