Re: new gnome-session logout

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Owen> When you are automatically saving the sesssion, the session will
> Owen> be saved fairly frequently and at times that are opaque to the
> Owen> user. (IIRC, generally, the session is saved when a program is
> Owen> added or removed from the session.)
>
> I thought that when a program started it was sent a local save.  It
> turns out that gsm uses this opportunity to write out the entire
> session.  Mea culpa, I wasn't aware of this change.  (Or maybe it was
> always this way and I just forgot.  Either way, duh.)
>
> I've reverted the patch.
>
> Trash mode defaults to true anyway.
>
> I couldn't find code to save the session when a program exits.
>
> What about introducing a new variable to set the toggle in trash mode?
> Then there wouldn't be any reason to ever turn trash mode off, would
> there?  (Assuming global saves without exit respected this new setting
> as well.)
>
> This would be a nice thing for the new GUI initiative to resolve: how
> sessions should be handled by default, and the various cases.

Ok. Put together some ideas and send it off to the gnome-gui-list or me
personally, and I'll see what I can toss together.

> I keep meaning to write a short page on "why XSMP sucks".  I blame the
> protocol.
>
> Tom

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
     pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
        -- Winston Churchill