Threads, GNOME, and auto*

>From the glib docs:

"Note: To use g_thread_init() in your program, you have to link with the
libraries, that the command "glib-config --libs gthread" outputs. This is
not the case for all the other thread related functions of GLib. Those can
be used without having to link with the thread libraries."

I believe I need to call g_thread_init() to properly initialize threads.

My problem is encountered when trying to auto(make, conf, etc) my program:
How do I properly add the extra "--libs"?  I don't really understand how
the auto* system works, and I don't really *want* to figure it out by
myself.

(As a side note: this whole system seems rather complicated.  HP's
excellent "GTK+ / Gnome Application Development" is a lifesaver, but I
feel like I'm just typing stuff in, without actually understanding it.)

And now that I consider everything: must I even call g_thread_init()?

a thoroughly confused,
Evan.