Re: Information Applet Thingy

----- Original Message -----
From: Martijn van Beers <martijn@earthling.net>
To: <gnome-devel-list@gnome.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 1999 11:07 AM
Subject: Re: Information Applet Thingy

> On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 06:48:10PM -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > Correct me if I'm wrong.  A normal applet must ALWAYS be on the panel,
or be
> > completely removed, no?  And if you start an applet, it jsut puts it on
the
> I don't know what you mean by this exactly, but irssi launches a
> status applet when it starts up, and removes it again when it is
> closed.
> > first available place, on the first panel, even if the panel is full.  I
run
> > two panels, and the default panel to place applets is full.
> > The applets aren't even visible.  I have to manually plave applets on
>
> I agree that it would be convenient to be able to control where an
> applet should be placed, yes.

An applet 'container' would be the solution, yes?  Sort of like window
groups in e, except applet groups.  A container that all new applets go
into, or perhaps just applets that want to go into it.  Then you could
define multiple containers with perhaps special conditions on them,
conditions of what type of applets they should attract.  Then you could say
define a Launchers container,  a Monitors container, etc.

This would be some nice functionality to go into the panel in HEAD perhaps?

Matt