Re: Decoupling GNOME Office?

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 10:35:54AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Jon Trowbridge <trow@emccta.com> writes:
> > While I have no a priori objections to doing anything under the
> > openoffice.org banner, their "discuss" list already seems to get a
> > fair amount of traffic on StarOffice-specific topics (feature
> > requests, their C++ API, etc.)  It therefore might not be the best
> > place to hash out questions of identity and purpose for GNOME Office.
> >
> > So I guess my vote for gnome-office@mail.gnome.org...
> >

> OK. Keep in mind though, the idea is to merge the OpenOffice project
> and the GNOME Office project. So either they have to move over here,
> or we have to move over there. Hopefully the GNOME Office people have
> been hearing from Sun on this (I know there have been some talks with
> the Gnumeric people, I don't know otherwise).
>
> Are there actually topics people want to discuss on
> gnome-office@gnome.org or will it be as quiet as the workshop list?

Well, I can think of two topics.

(1) The "What is GNOME Office?" meta-discussion, as represented by this
    thread.

(2) The gnome-app-libs module, and similar issues of interest to
    developers of large GNOME apps that target primarily non-technical
    users.  To quite Jody, from another branch of this thread:
> There are also several overlapping functionalities.  Currently many
> applications have written their own plugin management system, and
> have their own unique approach to handling paths for their support
> files (glade, png ...).  There are also several overlapping widgets
> that are also being replicated.  We should enable the gnome-app-libs
> module soon.

The viewpoints on (1) seem so incredibly diverse that there probably
needs to be discussion of it.

(2) is much more pragmatic.  I guess I imagine using it as a sort of
"gnome-app-devel-list" --- but by instead calling it "gnome-office",
it hopefully won't get a bunch of posts asking how to read the color
of individual pixels in a drawing area...

-JT

--
GNU/Linux: Free your mind and your OS will follow.