Re: Some general facts about panel and gnome

This really should go to gnome-list@gnome.org.

>  Fact 1: There should a recent accessed-modified document sub-menu.
> This is implemented in Windows and is a good idea! This sub-menu is of
> course a gnome_private thing. It should of course be created by gmc or
> its descendant with mime-types and all!
This is I think difficult to implement because there are hundrets of ways
to modify a Document under LINUX/UNIX. It could be done in GMC, but I
thing noone is modifying dead code. If documents are not opened from
within GMC, it is required to change every app to notify GNOME about this.
Dont foorget to modify all the available shells (bash, csh, tcsh, ...).

>  Fact 2: The panel as it is right now is either below or above other
> windows! When above, dialogs can be partially hidden. When below
> (normal thing by the way) and you use a drawer, the drawer will always
> be below. This is bad!
The Window Manager is responsible to avoid this situation.

>  Fact 3: There should be a device manager for God's sake! Either we do
> it, or I will go beg kernel developers to make one (as they did with
> make xconfig), however it will probably be Tcl/Tk and not Gnome! I
> already suggested that but no one even discussed it!
I don't see a need for this but yes, one could write such an application.

>  Fact 4: Either tell enlightenment (best window manager in my opinion)
> folks to be compliant or fork if you wanna keep it as default gnome
> window manager! Someone with good window manager knowledge should do
> it! I have yet to see another decent window manager for gnome that is
> at least not completely ugly! We NEED a default 100% compatible window
> manager by default. Other are welcome to comply if they wish!
Have you ever tried sawmill?
http://sawmill.sourceforge.net/
This is IMHO currently the best GNOME-Compliant  window manager.

>   Fact 5: I don't know if this redhat's problem or gnome's. It's the
> file manager! I know you guys are re-writing it from scratch. Anyway,
> avoid the following problem: I keep setting my zip drive icon in the
> gmc icon link on my desktop along with other 'disk' icons. Except that
> cdrom is not there. That's ok with me, but each time I mount a CDROM,
> all devices are re-scanned and all their icons are reset to default.
> THIS IS BAD!
I'm sure this will change with the new file manager.

>  Fact 6: Gnome is simply beautiful! The prettiest panel, icons out
> there! Keep it that way.
That's why we are using it.

 Cheers, Martin.

      mailto:hawlisch@roxi.rz.fh-mannheim.de