A Little Help Needed.

Hi,
	First off , sorry this mail should actually go to gtk+ mailing list ,
but since I am not yet subscribed to it and needed a quick help , I
decided to send it here. Besides I am writing a GNOME app.

	The problem is gtk_editable_get_chars. How do I know if the user has not
entered any text in the entrybox. I dont seem to be getting a NULL
pointer back. This is based on gtk+1.2.8-0_helix_1 on a rh6.2 box. strlen
also doesnt return 0 (obviously). There doesnt seem to be any doc on
getting the no of chars in an entry box. Can someone tellme how can I
detect null strings without touching the struct members.

	BTW the app that I am writing is an addressbook called Aries. I had
quite a few problems with gnomecard and so I decided to write my own
addressbook using xml as the file format, (I desperately needed a
reliable contact manager). While gnomecard looked great , unfortunately
it corrupted my data all the time. And I wanted to learn gtk+ and GNOME
programming. Have done quite a lot of KDE programming and so this
presented me with a nice oppurtunity to learn GNOME programming.

	Aries will have a plugin arch to import and export and I plan to make it
a bonobo component and CORBA server so that it can straightaway give out
to: cc: bcc: entries for an email client thus integrating itself
completely with GNOME. Are there any standards in GNOME for integrating
an addressbook and an email client ?.

Regards

Vinny