Re: idea: special menuitem in MenuBar of each gnome application

Alan Shutko wrote:

> So?  Most people don't change their Word setup, but my wife can't live
> without her custom setup (which makes it easier to take notes in class
> on her laptop).  That's my _point_!  Most people may not need it, but
> some people really need it.  If we leave it up to app developers, they
> may be like you and decide that few enough people would use it that
> it's not worth the hassle.

I agree that in larger applications it can be a fundamentally useful
thing to do, but I'm questioning the usefulness of implementing such a
solution and then expecting it to fit seemlessly on an every-app basis.
Maybe not so much the usefulness actually; it's more that I think the
benefits don't out-weigh the effort required to do this really well.

> Sure, I can edit the source, but should I really have to edit the
> source for this kind of thing?

If you *really* want to change a user interface in a lot of the modern
Gnome apps, you can just fire up glade and edit the app's GUI visually.
You have to be careful not to change too many fundamental elements
though or the application may break.

Regards,

Lee.