Re: GDM and alternate authentication methods

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 02:21:33PM -0400, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> On Thursday, May 31, 2001 10:27:21 -0700, Alan <alan ufies org> wrote:
> +-----

> | > Perhaps only the basic auth (user/pass compared with /etc/shadow), but
> | > not anything else
> | > (e.g. a system with LOTS of users which does an sql auth)
> | >
> | > Using Linux, I don't see this a disadvantage. PAM works, we can use
> | > that, we don't need to re-implement.
> | > Better port PAM to other OSes.
> |
> | Not only voice/dna/retina but also other authentication methods such as
> | RSA securid tokens.  The rsa library is not free, but if a plugin method
> +--->8
>
> I will pointlessly reiterate that the entire universe is not Red Hat Linux
> and that not reading my entire message before responding is not helpful,
> then retire to my nonexistent fairyland where people run OSes that are not
> Red Hat Linux.  "Thanks."

Hehehe, well, seeing as I haven't run redhat since 5.0 (and for a short time
at that), haven't even *touched* a redhat system in at least a year, all
my systems run Debian, and the platform we're using the RSA code on is a
custom (tiny) distro, you shouldn't have to :)

For one of my company's security solutions we implemented RSA secureID tokens
and wrote our own application, using the libs and dev files that we got direct
from RSA.  Nothing to do with redhat was involved (except the libs and headers
we got were probably the same thing that they used for whatever their product
is).  While playing around with the code afterward one of the developers
hacked login to do securid authentication.

Maybe I didn't read/understand your original post, and probably should have
either responded to the original authors post, or stuck a big [offtopic] in
the subject, and for that I appologize, however before blasting *me* for being
a redhat bigot, please ensure that you're understand what I was trying to get
across :)

On an aside, what is the deal with redhat and rsa anyway?  A quick search of
their site notes their strategic alliance with rsa, and about the stronghold
server.  What exactly is their alliance?

Regarsd,

Alan, returning to his debian world

--
Arcterex <arcterex userfriendly org>   -==-   http://arcterex.net
"I used to herd dairy cows. Now I herd lusers. Apart from the isolation, I