Re: Devel strategy of the file selection dialogs?

Biswapesh Chattopadhyay <biswapesh_chatterjee tcscal co in> writes:
> Will it be one of file-sel and gnome-file-selector ?

If someone reads "filesel notes" and gets an idea of the general
requirements, and does the work, and decides to base their work on one
of those then yes. Otherwise no. ;-)

There's also the dialog in Anjuta - is it one of those?

There's some initial work on an icon list widget in libegg that could
be used for the icons.

> I suppose you mean this:
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2002-March/msg00179.html

The whole thread that follows, not just the initial post. Many good
points made.

> It seems to me that none of the above achieve that - so it's going to be
> a re-write from scratch ? Also, the KFileDialog link is missing - and it
> is pretty good as far as file dialogs go (though a bit heavyweight)

KFileDialog should probably be included. I don't like its UI
personally, too many buttons and gizmos. But the API should be looked
at.

> Is someone working on this already ? If not, I might give it a shot. In
> that case I'll study the links you've given in the mail in detail (maybe
> even write some code to get the feel of each) and try to come up with
> some preliminary docs in a week or two which I'll post to the list.

Sounds great! Yep the thing to do is just dive in. But it's important
to get the rough API design right.

Havoc