Re: gnome-vfs/GIOChannel for parsing

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 05:12, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Owen,
>
> On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 21:07, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > Is your concern that one company utterly controls glib/gtk+ or that one
> > _person_ utterly controls glib/gtk+? (*)
>
> 	Now I think more about it I have two parallel concerns:
>
> 		* that one person controls glib/gtk+
> 		* that Havoc sits next to him
>
> > Do you think that when Havoc has some code he wants to get into GTK+, I
> > just say "Oh, you work for Red Hat, commit whatever you want"?
>
> 	Given that you are in complete control of what (some people want to)
> become the desktop platform; in lieu of a mixed bag of apps that is
> Gnome. Given that - it seems reasonable that being in constant close
> proximity, the same company etc. seems to lend a certain advantage.

Even if the GNOME application development community was being
denied it say into GTK+ development (it's not (*)) I don't see how
that controls the direction of the desktop platform. App developers
are free to use as much or as little of GTK+ as they want,
and free to use as much or as little beyond GTK+ as they want.

The direction of GTK+ project is and has always been that it should
be a good enough GUI toolkit to write full featured applications
(like the GIMP).

> >     And it's certainly only in my interest to keep things
> >     moving in a direction with a division of labor. I like having
> >     some time to do something other than review GTK+ patches.
> >     Like sleep.
>
> 	Sure; I think my concern is more with demanding that directional
> disclosure, and discussion[1] happens outside of North Carolina, rather
> than with your maintainership on any technical level.

Can you convert this into some concrete plan of action other than
"do a better job at coordinating the GTK+ project, by

 - Writing down plans in detail
 - Responding in detail to other people's input
"
Things I strive for constantly, but only occasionally succeed at.

> [1] - and yes I know you can point to a list with millions of lines of
>       discussion about twigs - while people are burning great chunks of
>       forest elsewhere undiscussed.

This sounds like:

 "I don't think public GTK+ development discussion with the GTK+
  developers on gtk-devel-list works. Let's discuss it in private
  with some GNOME cabal instead."

Maybe that's just _my_ conspiracy theories coming into play.

Regards,
                                           Owen

(*) As I think I said at FOSDEM, I'd really appreciate if you wanted
to do a detailed review of the EggMenu stuff as it relates to
meeting the needs of Bonobo.