Re: My Critics about nautilus

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:29:07 +0200, Ingo Ruhnke <grumbel gmx de> wrote:

> Not being the original poster, anyway, I don't think the situation
> without the compact layout is much better, yep, stuff gets aligned to
> a grid correctly, however the grid is FAR to wide, making it very
> difficult to see when there are more then very few files in the
> folder:
>
> http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/kdesucks/nautilussucks.png

So you don't have any files/folders that have over 3 letters in their
name? Perhaps it would be useful to show file/folder names ranging
from 3-20 letters at the same situation to actually have something to
discuss.

> In general I feel that nautilus is really lacking any kind of view
> that is useable for folders with large number of files, be it a
> grided-compact layout or a smallicon view such as:
>
> http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/kdesucks/konqvsrox.png
>
> If I currently try to configure nautilus to give text beside icons and
> such and zoom out a bit I only end up with such unusable results:
>
> http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/kdesucks/nautilus-fileview.png

If you want the listview, why not use it instead of making nautilus
mimic it in icon view (with obviously bad results)? And no, I don't
think it's available outside of browser mode.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi