Re: GNOME 2.24: Worst release cycle I have been a part of [l10n/i18n]

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Claude Paroz <claude 2xlibre net> wrote:
[...]
>> Now, when it comes to someone packing a distro or preparing a flashy new
>> "gnome release set", I can understand people liking that they can say its
>> "100% translated", but personally, and I think from one maintainer to another,
>> I could care less if its all translated on release date or not, we
>> obviously dont
>> have the resources for that final minute touch up so who are we trying to kid ?
>
> I'm not sure to understand what you're saying here, but I can say that
> the aim of every translation team is to have most of strings translated
> for a release, because that's what eventually matters for users.

What Im trying to say, is that me, with a few hands to help out
can try to make a release on a given date; I even think we do pretty well
in contrast with corporations I've worked for - but there will always be
remaining unforseen bugs and tidying up to be done after the release,
bottom line: if we barely have the resources to dish out a marginally
complete release in 6 months - how can we expect translators to
reach 100% in 20 days ?

Then again, from my point of view gnome translations have always
been a mysterious process - so if its comfortable for translators
and release team then thats great.

[...]
> As Leonardo said, when GNOME is going forward fast, translators sweat.
> In this perspective, I can only hope that we'll continue to have hard
> times as translators :-)

Very positive point :D

Best regards,
            -Tristan