Re: Some 2.6 thinking

* Damon Chaplin <damon karuna uklinux net> [2004-04-13 17:00:18 +0100]:

<snip>
> Are there any cross-platform printing or sound APIs developers can use?
> Or are you suggesting developers use platform-specific code here? That
> is one option, I suppose.

There are many available.
What we could do is try to choose the "best" one and try write some
libs for common problems (i.e. libgtk-printdialog).

<snip>
> > GTK+ is about drawing user interfaces, let's keep it that way.
>
> If we want to build the printing & sound libraries on top of GTK+ that
> is fine.
What have sound and printing to do with widget handling ?
The only thing is a common "print" dialog. This belongs into a lib
which uses gtk and some other libs doing the "dirty" work.

> But I think they do need to be built, if we want to push GTK+
> as a real cross-platform development toolkit.

You probably read my oppinion about the cancer monster Qt or the
snipped-collection NSPWL  on glib-devel ?

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact metux de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481
   -- DSL-Zugang ab 0 Euro. -- statische IP -- UUCP -- Hosting --