Re: Fwd: Plans for GTK+ Bundles for win32 and win64?

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 10:45:56 +0200, Kean Johnston wrote:

> Problem 1 is most easily solved by creating a custom compilation suite for
> building GTK itself using a mixture of Visual Studio 2010 and the DDK. As
> part of the work I am currently doing I am making a full set of step by
> step instructions on exactly how to do that.

Note that many of us build programs with MinGW, so for such suite to be
useful, it should provide GCC-compatible import libraries.

> Problem 2 is most easily solved by sensible naming of the DLL's, or as an
> alternative, linking statically. There is no mandate in the Windows world
> that we preserve libtool's insane version numbering for libraries. We can
> (and should) have more sensibly named libraries such as glib228.dll rather
> than glib2.dll, which covers WAY too broad a scope (just to pick on glib).

What happens when eg. Gimp links to glib228.dll, and then the user
downloads a plugin linked with earlier version of glib?

> 1. A single source tree with all of the required components, from zlib on
> up, that can be built for either Win32 or Win64, either as a DLL or as a
> static library.
> 2. An easy-to-install runtime package that will contain all of the runtime
> components needed to run a complex GTK application.
> 3. An easy-to-install development environment for the above.

This sounds really similar to what the CoApp project is working on (except
they're not limited to GTK+, and don't plan to use DDK compiler).

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >