Re: Fwd: Plans for GTK+ Bundles for win32 and win64?

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 09:16:24 +0100, Martyn Russell wrote:

> What I wished we had years
> ago when I was developing on Windows was an executable which installed
> GTK+ on the system for all apps (so I didn't have to package gtk+ inside
> my own project).

I used to provide one of such installers, but all things considered, it
wasn't a good solution - there were way too many compatibility problems
with GTK+ installers provided by other projects, and the only reason I
didn't start bundling GTK+ with the Gimp sooner is because Windows 9x/ME
required an older version of GTK+ than Windows 2000 and newer.

The current Gimp installers still use Win32 GTK+ libraries from
ftp.gnome.org, but I switched to the libraries provided by SuSE build
service for the unstable builds, and plan to have Gimp 2.8 installer bundle
that.

I'm not opposed to the idea of common GTK+ on the system, but at least with
GIMP there's an additional complication that it's plug-ins are installed in
a separate directory, making incompatible versions in Windows and System32
directories that much more problematic.

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >