Re: Fwd: Plans for GTK+ Bundles for win32 and win64?

On 08/09/2011 20:15, Jernej Simončič wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 19:55:27 +0200, Dieter Verfaillie wrote:
>
>> Care to disclose the name of that certain antivirus?
>> We've been looking for possible sources of this for ages
>> over @PyGTK (the Gramps devs even wrote a sanity checking
>> script to detect this and other weird situations).
>
> I think it's Norton (but I'm not entirely sure - I don't use it, and it's
> just what one of the people who had the problem mentioned).
>
>> It is strange that with both SafeDllSearchMode enabled
>> and disabled, %WINDIR%\system32 takes precedent over the
>> directory from which the application loaded. Haven't yet
>> found out why unfortunatly...
>
> System32 doesn't have precedence over the .exe directory,

Yeah, checked msdn yet again just to be sure. Got me
worried there for a second ;)

> however in Gimp's
> case, the plug-ins are stored separately from the main executable, and
> System32 is searched before %PATH%. The only way to work around the problem
> would be by using assemblies, but that's a whole different can of worms.

Saying this without knowing much about how Gimp plugins
function exactly:

Is the path where plugins' .dll files live known before loading
the plugin's .exe? For example the lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\
directory of the respective plugin?

If so, a well placed SetDllDirectory(lpPathName) [1]
before loading the plugin could solve that as it places lpPathName
between the main executable and the system directory in the dll search
order. SetDllDirectory(NULL) can be used to restore the search order
to it's default again.

But that would only work for Windows XP SP1 and newer...

mvg,
Dieter

[1] or the SetDllDirectoryW variant