Re: Future features

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 10:43, Daniel Borgmann wrote:
> What I _really_ would love to see Nautilus improving on is the sidebar,
> as currently it's not really an integrated part and rather feels like a
> bandaid for those who can't really live without it. So I don't use it
> but Nautilus just doesn't feel efficient when I have to doubleclick a
> few dozen times to get where I want to get (and then back). Of course I
> could just use the locationbar but then I could just as well continue
> using the console like I did before. =)

By the way, have you tried key navigation, I use it all the time and it
is very handy in navigating places.

   * set "open in current window" by default
   * set "use home folder as desktop"

So that your files are *right there* on the desktop (one step less to
get into them) - also if you have unique enough names for the folders
you can just click the desktop to focus it, press "c" for "cvs" folder,
press enter to open it, press "g" for "gnome" and press enter to go
there etc..

Also if you use Metacity windowmanager, press Ctrl-Alt-D to hide all
windows from desktop temporarily to open folders.

The "type first few letters of filename to select a file" is very handy
for key navigation and makes the thing pretty effective in moving
around.

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::