Re: Template system

> Distros should not add templates for users. How the heck would RedHat
> know what sort of documents you normally create? Unless you want the
> useless "New HTML document" crap that some OSes have.
>
> Templates are user-owned, and shouldn't be touched by any app or distro.
> At the most, a sysadmin might add some default Templates to /etc/skel
> for his site, but if the user deletes these (and its his full right to!)
> he can.

OK, now I understand where the misunderstanding come from.

I was talking of "generic" templates. Things like new spreadsheet, or
new HTML document which can be useful for users who don't know how to
create them. Those generic templates (if you decide to implement them,
which you don't seem) should be protected and located in a hidden
user-land folder or, better, in a system folder (/usr/share/templates
for example), protected from users.

When it comes to personal templates (created by users themselves, not by
a skel), it is obvious that they should be visible (thus in a non-hidden
folder).

--
Julien Olivier <julo altern org>