Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] No MusicBrainz auto fill of album information

On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 10:53 -0500, Tracy L. Cann wrote:
> Hi. I'm in the process of uploading all of my CD's to create a library
> in Rhythmbox in a different laptop I recently purchased. I've uploaded
> 23 albums now. All 23 have had the same problem, not autofilling the
> album information.
>
> Yes, I've gone to the MusicBrainz website and found all of my albums on
> their site.
>
> No I haven't done anything to change Rhythmbox. I am using Ubuntu 10.04
> LTS. The only "updates" are what Ubuntu does through Update Manager. I'm
> basically a newbie and don't do any programming or custom modifications.

I've done a little investigating. It turns out that all versions of
Ubuntu prior to 11.10 (Oneric) are shipping a broken version of
Rhythmbox which can't do CD lookups. This is because they use the old
version 2.1.5 of libmusicbrainz.

The good news is that the version of Rhythmbox included in Lucid does
support the newer version 3.0.2 of the libmusicbrainz library - which
will work. However, Rhythmbox will have to be recompiled to use it.

At this point, your best option will be to file a bug with Ubuntu, to
ask them to rebuild Rhythmbox to fix CD lookups. In particular, you
should include this technical detail: it needs to use libmusicbrainz3-6
instead of libmusicbrainz4c2a.

Since Ubuntu 10.04 is still officially supported until April 2013, the
Ubuntu folks should be able to help you.

> The last time I know it worked correctly was in September or October
> 2010 When I last purchased some CD's and loaded them into a desktop PC
> which also has Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The autofill feature is no longer
> working on that PC either.

This date range corresponds to when the old 'RDF' webservice was shut
down, due to the database schema upgrade.

--
Calvin Walton <calvin walton kepstin ca>