Re: Unbreaking the gnome clipboard

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 08:24:33AM +0100, Mark Finlay wrote:

> > > 2. The ability to make a selection, and use the middle mouse button to paste the selection
> > > even after the selection is lost. ie. the middle mouse button pastes the last selection
> > > instead of being limited to the current one.
> >

> > Well, you will have a VERY hard time getting that working :-).
>
> I have no idea of the technical details involved, but I do know that
> kde's klipper (i think that's what its called) has had this working
> for as long as i can remember. The only issue, and it's probably a big
> one, is that it only works with kde apps. /me smells a nasty hack.

I don't know about the 3.x version but kde 2.x's klipper works well enough to
make adobe acrobat reader unusable with copy protected pdfs. As soon as anything
is selected in acrobat reader it throws up a lot dialogboxes saying something to
the effect "you are not allowed to copy this text". So it seems klipper tries to
copy the text in a short intervall.

> Anyway, having the normal clipboard working properly is the number
> one priority IMHO, but it would be nice to get this working at some
> stage...

Yes i think we should do something so it works at least for modern applications.
If the X protocol isn't up to that task, we should either try to get the X
people to fix it or do some cross Desktop hacks to work around (for example the
app that is closed signals a clibboard manager to take to selection and contents)

Martin H.