Re: Promoting greater integration between developers/writers/I18N:) [and testers!:)]

On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 14:50, Fernando Herrera wrote:
> Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 03:52:02AM +1000, Jeff Waugh escribió:
>
> >Two reasons:
> >
> >  - Distros like getting their own bug reports, so either they'd have to
> >    rewire bug-buddy to report bugs to their system (which is probably a
> >    good idea, but the only distributor who has done any of that work is
> >    Ximian), or turn off all GNOME Project bug reporting entirely
>
> 	Well, I asked Owen about if redhat would be interested in
> getting bug reports of their .desktop apps directly from bug-buddy (it
> would be easy, just provide products xml file and put an importer
> similar to the one in bugzilla.gnome.org at redhat bugzilla). He said
> that they were not very interested on that. Principally because crash
> bug reports of redhat installed packages are not very useful without
> debbuging symbols. I think that Mandrake is now providing *-debug rpm
> packages, and if redhat is going also to do, it would be possible to ask
> the user to install them.

Hmm, I don't remember the details of the conversation much.

I remember saying that -debuginfo package integration would be
incredibly cool, but we (Red Hat) would have to sort out how we are
making -debuginfo packages available for download.

(I don't know what Mandrake is doing in this area, but the incredibly
cool RPM/binutils/etc. work to enable -debuginfo packages was done by
Alex Larsson and we build them for everything. We just haven't figured
out how to make them publically available in a convenient fashion.)

I may have said that crash dialog integration wasn't that interesting
for Red Hat apps because all our custom applications are written
in pygtk.

I strongly expect we would turn off any feature to add "report a bug"
to the Help menu, but for a different reason ... it's just too
prominent of a placement for an activity that in the end very
few users should have to or will want to do.

Regards,
					Owen