Re: Build system (was: SVG format in ...)

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 18:15, Marcin Antczak wrote:
> I was sick looking on my monitor when running Garnome which performed
> almost the same tests with ./configure for each application...

configure has an option --with-cache-file.  Run configure once, take the
config.cache file and put somewhere safe.  For all other configure
calls, do configure --with-cache-file .../config.cache, and it won't
have to do the tests again.

There are plenty of reasons why people don't do this -- the results of
the tests change over time for example.

> I just wonder why if we have Gnome community which provides entire
> Desktop Environment there is no something like "Gnome distribution" with
> it's own installer, own tools for maintaining...

My distribution (Debian) has its own way of installing software, and I
like it as it is, thank you very much.  Your vision for GNOME may
include a GNOME distribution (I take it you haven't seen the gnome-os
mailing list) with GNOME installers, but when installed on Debian it
will always be as Debian packages.  Ditto for Red Hat, Mandrake, etc.

Ross
                                      jabber: ross jabber debian net
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./