Re: Proposed: evolution

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 09:52, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Thomas Vander Stichele">
>
> > (btw, I'd LOVE to see Evolution in the desktop.  So I'm hoping the evo
> > hackers realize this is an important blocker.)
>
> Should we consider this as a "blocker", or consider the wider issues that
> the Evolution team need to deal with? This is a very major addition to the
> Desktop release, and an interesting transition for the Evolution team. Maybe
> we should be willing to cut them a little slack on this one.
>
> Thoughts?

I'd rather not see exceptions starting to be made.  Many applications
are "important" and have "big jobs" for integration.  If we start
lowering our quality control and requirements for one app, why not do it
for all of them?  (That argument is going to be made by others in the
future if we make exceptions for Evolution.)  There's also no guarantee
that the problem points will be fixed by the next GNOME cycle once it's
accepted; if it's too much trouble to support GTK2.4 now because Ximian
supports older platforms for Evolution, are we sure the situation will
be any different 6 months from now, or are they still going to be
arguing against GTK2.4/GTK2.6 dependencies for GNOME 2.10?

> - Jeff
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.