Re: Problems with changing/removing themes [Was: Themes]

On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 16:48 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Link Dupont">
>
> > On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 11:46 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > > I think the first point is pretty solid -> no removal of metathemes
> > > (what we refer to as 'Themes') at all. The second one is harder. Should
> > > we be open to theme changes such as this? Should they keep a similar
> > > feel/colour if we do accept changes?
> >
> > I think some of the existing themes could do with some spicing up.  Smooth
> > can do some pretty unique things; so porting a couple to Smooth would be
> > fun.
>
> Fun, sure, but 'not evil'? I don't know. :-)

No I don't think its evil either. There's a good chance that you'll be
able to keep the same look and feel, as well as color, using the Smooth
engine. I once made a theme that mimicked dobey's CleanIce engine to
near perfect accuracy using Smooth, just to see if I could. That was
fun. :-)
http://home.subpop.net/~link/screenshots/misc/themes/GTK2-CleanIce-
Shot.png
http://home.subpop.net/~link/screenshots/misc/themes/GTK2-Smooth-
CloneIce-Shot.png

Of course, the whole point is to make the old themes look better, but
that's doable without stepping outside the bounds of the old theme
either. Switching to Smooth & tweaking the theme in a few spots won't do
anyone much harm. They'll get used to subtle changes. -Link

--
Link Dupont <link subpop net>