Re: Proposal: gnome-main-menu for inclusion in GNOME 2.18

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 20:46 +1300, Glynn Foster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Steve Fr�naux wrote:
> > Martin Ejdestig wrote:
> >> And the slab thing looks like Windows' start menu but doesn't behave
> >> anything like the "real thing" on Windows. Or did I miss something? :)
> >
> > Note that I'm not using MacOS, nor am I using Windows.
> >
> > I'm perfectly fine with the current "gnome-y" menu applet and don't want
> > to see it replaced, that's all.
>
> I don't have a huge desire for change either.
>
> We seem to change the menu layout in pretty much every GNOME minor release that
> we've created. That's churn every 6 months. What makes you think that slab is
> any better? How long has it soaked in a Novell release?

I've just tried using slab for a couple of days. It's very nice looking,
but I don't think it provides anything more than what we have already.
Its search feature ties into Beagle (we have Deskbar), it has
NetworkManager support (we a tray applet), and its menu system leaves a
lot to be desired. If the application you want is a "favourite" (of
which there can only be so many), it's great. But when you want to
administer your system, or run a different application, it's rather a
different story, and you have to open up a clumsy program that then
stays in memory for the rest of the session. Furthermore, it doesn't
have the lovely "Places" system.

Until the "more applications" problem is sorted out, I don't think it
should be the default, as it would be a step backwards in terms of
usability.